Sunday, January 11, 2009

What I learned at church today...

Will is at a very difficult stage for church attendance. He's so active and wants to be going all the time or looking in everyone's church bags and I spend the whole time wrestling him and I really don't even attempt to go to Sunday School. I just let him crawl around and detox from keeping him so quiet and stationary during Sacrament meeting. Then during Relief Society, I usually end up coming and going from that class multiple times and, of course, no naps happen. I was joking with another mom today of "Why do I even come to church? It's not like I can get anything out of it? I hurry up and take and bread and the water before Will swipes it and then one of us takes him out." She said she had the same frustrations and was pouring out her frustrations on her mom one day and her mom said, "You don't go to church right now for you. You go to church to build strong habits for your children." The moral of this for me was an obvious attitude adjustment as well as that there are many things to be taught while at church- most of them not in the lesson manuals, you just have to look and listen for them.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I so understand your hardship with this. Lindsay was so good to sit and play with toys and look at books. With her I could actually go to at least RS and get a little something out of it. Now Ryker on the other hand. . . not so much. For the two hours of Sunday School and RS, I spend in the hall. I have told myself the reason I keep going, and stay, is to be a good example to both my kids and to keep me in the habit of going!
Not to put a damper on things, but for me it hasn't got any better the older he is. Sorry, at least he goest to nursery next month. Wahoo!!! I love my little guy, but I feel bad dreading church.

fagergrenfam said...

I don't if this helps, but with Vic I spent every sunday in the mothers lounge. As soon as the sacrament was passed, i just headed to the mothers lounge and let Vic crawl around, the meeting was piped through to the lounge and it took the stress off me because I felt I go something out of it. Also if your calling allows it switch off and you take will one week and Court takes him to the hood the next week so that you can go to RS.