
A few weeks ago, I heard on the radio that The Smashing Pumpkins were doing an acoustic sold out concert in Columbus on Halloween. Angry that I had no idea how I could have missed such an incredible opportunity, I called Cort and said that we had to find a way to get tickets. I scoured Craigslist every day hoping that I could find a god deal on tickets. Sure enough, as the concert date grew closer, people were getting desperate and prices dropped. We gladly picked up tickets the day of and left Will at a friend's house while we went to see Billy Corgan Inc.
I have loved the Smashing Pumpkins since I think about 6th grade. Siamese Dream came out when I was in 4th grade and I think for a solid 2 years I heard my brother, Jared, blast "Today" while he was getting ready for school. And that's where it began. I even developed a secret crush on Mr. Corgan himself and in recent years have learned I wasn't the only one (Kim and Tara:)
The concert was at a venue called the Newport, which is right across the street from campus. It only holds 1700 people, so its prefect for intimate concerts. We were literally 30 feet from Billy and I'm 99% sure I lost some of my hearing that night, but I didn't care. The inner heavy rock lover in me came out and I just relished in it. I think my jaw was dropped for most of the show because it was just so incredible. Every time I go to a concert, I am reminded that Heavenly Father gave all of us special gifts and I was privileged to be able to see people with such incredible musical gifts.
Halloween let me check another great band off my list of "To See Before I Die".
1 comment:
That would be me and the Indigo Girls. Opportunities have come and gone and I've missed 'em all. I'm glad you got to see them. Can't say I was ever a big fan but I get the obsession!
Post a Comment